Saturday, May 4, 2013

How to cook Ampalaya or Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon



Some people cook ampalaya or also known as bitter gourd, just plain stir-fried in oil with onions and garlic. Some would add eggs. But I like to put some protein in my ampalaya besides the eggs. I would check first what are the left-over’s in the refrigerator, like chicken, pork, beef or even fish. If I am not successful  in finding anything, then I would buy just ¼ or ½ kilo of whatever protein I want, dending on how much I am going to be cooking. 

Sometimes if I have canned meatloaf I would dice them into cubes and use that too. Even corned beef is good, sliced cooked ham, or ground meat, and even fish, the possibilities are limitless.:)


First wash the ampalaya or Bitter gourd then half and slice into thin but not too thin slices. I then would wash them again and the soak in water. Others would wash and squeeze in water with salt. I don’t because it makes the ampalaya look droopy and not crispy. Then set aside the soaking ampalaya. 


Slice onions and chop garlic. Then the left-over meat or whatever is available, I would also chop into bite size. Stir fry the onions then the garlic. Then drain the water from the ampalaya, then stir fry with the onions and garlic. Then add the meat. Then I put a little seasoning. Beat eggs (how much depends on the quantity of your ampalaya, approximately 2-3 eggs), after awhile add the beaten egg. Mix well. Season to taste then serve. If the left-over is adobo I put a little of the sauce in the ampalaya.


I don’t stir-fry for a long time so I don’t overcook the ampalaya. I like the vegetables to be crispy. I like to experiment.

How do you cook your ampalaya?



My Ampalaya with pork and eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment